Review: The Traitor's Kiss

The Traitor's Kiss The Traitor's Kiss by Erin Beaty
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I understood before I began that this one probably wasn't going to be a favorite; contrary to many of the reviews, however, it wasn't terrible. I listened to the audiobook and, while the narrator wasn't terrible, the attempt at male voices gave me some serious chuckles.

Main Characters: 3/5
Sage, our main character, was just mediocre for me. I could tell that Beaty was really trying to create this characterization of her as an insightful, rebellious young woman. I got those elements, but for some reason, it struck a false note for me.

Secondary Characters: 2/5
The secondary characters weren't well done. I really struggled to differentiate members of the prospective brides and the group of soldiers. Our villain is also one-sided and flat, lacking any full development. And this is such a minor issue, but why did they all have such modern name when the world was very medieval? Read: Sage, Alex, Charlie, Ash...

Plot: 2/5
Meh. There were some interesting elements, but generally, I was unimpressed. The conflicts felt forced, the twists were easy to catch, and the plot has been done a million times before.

Writing Style: 3/5
I'm pretty neutral on the writing style. The novel definitely started out slow, and the pacing of the first few chapters was difficult to overlook. I also was often jolted out of the story by some anachronisms that didn't see to go with the worldbuilding. Overall however, I didn't have strong feelings about the writing style.

Ending: 2/5
Pretty unimpressive, honestly. There were some elements of strength in Sage that I really enjoyed seeing but there was a character death that felt rushed and unnecessary, and I just wasn't that impressed overall.

Total: 12/25 = 3 stars


(view spoiler)

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts