Review: 99 Percent Mine

99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

🔎Book Review🔎
-
Important note: I have not read The Hating Game! This probably influenced how I read this book! Let me know if you think I would have a different opinion after reading The Hating Game...
-
🔎Main Characters: 4/5🔎
Darcy, our MC, is a former wedding photographer who now travels and works at a bar. It’s pretty clear that Darcy is a little messed up inside, and this comes through in her snarky comments and tough girl attitude. I like seeing this complicated, layered main character, even though she was FRUSTRATING as hell. But then again, isn’t that all of us if we actually think about it?
-
🔎Secondary Characters: 4/5🔎
Love interest Tom is a family friend and Darcy’s twin Jamie’s best friend. I loved Tom, but I was also incredibly confused by him. Darcy’s best friend Truly was a great foil to Darcy, which really accentuated the characteristics of both. Conversely, I really didn’t care for Jamie- and I’m not sure if that’s how I was supposed to feel?
-
🔎Writing Style: 3/5🔎
Welp, I get it now. Sally Thorne, you are absolutely brilliant at witty dialogue and banter. The pacing was almost perfect- keeping me on my toes and moving the romance forward just enough. BUT- I was very confused for pretty much the whole thing by why the characters were interacting the way they were. Basically the entire first ⅔ of the book I was like, WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
-
🔎Plot: 3/5🔎
The concept and set-up was great: off-limits love interst? Check. House renovation? Check. The thing that I liked best, however, was that slow burn. I just didn’t like how we got there? Like, it seemed like the two should have been together halfway through the novel and I still can’t really understand why that didn’t happen? Can't complain though, because the tension left me hurtling through the remainder of the book.
-
🔎Ending: 4/5🔎
Okay, yes, adorable. And I like how each of the characters were forced to contend with their shortcomings and improve upon them. A teensy rushed, but I’m not mad about it.
-
🔎Total: 18/25🔎 4 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts