Review: If You're Out There

If You're Out There If You're Out There by Katy Loutzenhiser
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

🔎Book Review🔎
-
A few months ago I found out that @malapropsbookstore has a shelf full of ARCs for those who spend more than $50 in a visit- cue literally the best day of the year for me. I pulled this copy from the shelf and I’m glad I did! This was close to a 4 star read for me.
-
🔎Main Characters: 4/5🔎
Zan is our main character- a girl whose best friend, Priya, suddenly ghosts after moving away. Zan is hurt, but what does she do? She decides that foul play must be involved and decides to investigate. Zan, although a bit kooky and maybe unrealistic, is a well characterized MC who is entertaining.
-
🔎Secondary Characters: 5/5🔎
One of my favorite parts was Loutzenhiser's secondary character development. She developed these characters so neatly and expertly- you just love them almost as much as you love the main characters.
-
🔎Writing Style: 2/5🔎
I struggled with the pacing in the beginning/middle and was getting bored there for a bit, but that also could have just been the fact that the nerdy guys behind me playing Dungeons and Dragons at the cafe I was reading at were having a fascinating game.
-
🔎Plot: 3/5🔎
The premise was a little odd to me at first- a play on "ghosting", Zan is confused and concerned when best friend Priya ghosts on her after she moves. Zan struggles to understand why Priya would do this, and begins to wonder if there isn't something more sinister going on. Overall, even though there were some mystery and thriller elements, If You're Out There still had that good summer beach read feeling with a great romance element.
-
🔎Ending: 3/5🔎
If you can put aside some sense of realism, this was a really great ending. Clearly I found it a little unrealistic, but it ended on a sweet note and wrapped up really nicely.
-
🔎Total: 17/25🔎 3 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Summary: (view spoiler)

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts