Review: Dark Desires After Dusk

Dark Desires After Dusk by Kresley Cole
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

🔎Book Review🔎
-
🔎Main Characters: 4/5🔎
I really enjoyed Holly’s character because she’s different than many of our other female MC’s in the IAD series- she’s extremely smart and very sheltered. I loved seeing her grow throughout and seeing some of the reasoning. I was a little unsure about some of the narrative around Holly’s OCD, so I’d love to hear others’ opinions around that aspect.
-
🔎Secondary Characters: 3/5🔎
Conversely, I didn’t see a lot of character growth from Cadeon. His backstory was interesting and we really saw him grapple with some of the choices he has to make, however I didn’t see a lot of growth in his character. There were very few other secondary characters apart from some familiar faces, but those that existed were pretty flat.
-
🔎Writing Style: 3/5🔎
As always, Cole’s writing is quick-paced and holds my interest. However, as I’m comparing from novel to novel, DDAD had some plot points skimmed over (apparently they are covered in other books, but still…) and the ending of this one was extremely rushed- moreso than any other of the other IAD books.
-
🔎Plot: 3.5/5🔎
This novel revolves around Holly, a human, discovering that she is the Vessel (and a Valkyrie). Cadeon, who had watched her from afar for the last year, is now hopeful that he can claim her without killing her. However, Cadeon has dedicated his life to getting his brother back on his throne, and Holly may play a pivotal role in that. I really loved this premise, and the plot delivered with a lot of action. There were a few scenes that ended very conveniently- I would have liked to see more complexity in dealing with some of the issues, like Holly’s boyfriend.
-
🔎Ending: 2/5🔎
Probably my least favorite of any of the books in this series simply because it was so rushed. As with every IAD book, something came between the two that needed to be resolved. But this novel brings the two together and solves it in the very last chapter (only a few pages)- very jarring!
-
🔎Total: 15.5/25🔎 3 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts