Review: The Perfect Son

The Perfect Son by Lauren North
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 stars.

TL;DR:
Characters: Tess was fully developed and complex (full of positive and negative characteristics). However, the rest of the characters were one-dimensional
Writing: Slow-paced, interesting format (interviews, flashbacks, etc), just average
Plot: Saw the shocker ending coming from very early on, was interesting but wished it hadn't been so obvious. Other reviewers were surprised, so maybe you will be too?

This book was off to a strong start, keeping me interested with the interesting switches between hospital interviews and flashbacks, where young widow, Tess, is having conversations with her dead husband in her mind. In the interviews, Tess is frantic about finding her lost son, Jamie and is insistent that her brother-in-law and new friend are the ones who took him.

While I guessed the ending at about the 1/3 point, I had a couple moments of second guessing myself because of the cleverness of North's writing. Still, because I knew what would happen, things lagged a bit in the middle.

The ending raced to a close which was enjoyable and fun- the very last chapter did leave me a little shook and reflecting on some larger, philosophical questions, which I loved!

All in all, it was enjoyable, but nothing out of this world, for me.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts