Review: Daisy Jones & The Six

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 stars.

TL;DR:
Characters: Broken and tragic
Writing: Interview style, easy read (!)
Plot: Sex, drugs, & rock and roll

Lots of feelings about this one. I liked the interview/documentary style but it did spark a conversation with my dad about whether it can truly be literature or not (for the record, I think it can). Seeing Billy and Daisy torture each other was...complicated and heart-wrenching. And then the ending- oof. Hit me in the gut with how close to home it was. I think it would have been a four star read anyway, but the emotions that the ending brought out in me almost bumped it up to a 5 star.

Pros:
-interview style prose
-fast pace
-cool reveal at the end

Cons:
-Daisy had some depth, but also sometimes seemed too perfect in description: beautiful, rich, AND talented? Come on...
-a few of the characters weren't as well developed as others (I think I got Pete and Eddie mixed up multiple times)

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts