Review: Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maisie Dobbs was an enjoyable mystery with some sadder elements than I saw coming. I loved the historical elements of World War I and the social dynamics of the time (similar to what Downtown Abbey does), but also enjoyed the elements of mystery woven in.

I'm not sure if this format continues through the rest of the series, but this first book had a very distinct structure: setting up the mystery in present day, then the entire middle reviewing Maisie's past and entry into the War as a field nurse, then finally wrapping up the mystery again in the end. I understood the structure but I'm hoping that this is a one-time thing for the series in order to give us background information.

As I mentioned, the book was heavier than I expected. Part of the mystery revolved around the mysterious "Retreat", where veterans who were severely disfigured in the war can find some solace. Reading about what those men (and women) went through during the war was upsetting, but also fascinating.

Maisie Dobbs wasn't my favorite read ever, but you bet I'll be recommending it to my mom- it's right up her alley!

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts