Analytical Finds: YA Authors Sort Their Characters into Hogwarts Houses

Have you seen this Buzzfeed article where YA authors sort their own characters into Hogwarts Houses?

I was going through Buzzfeed the other day and noticed it and it made me think about a few things.

1. There were very few Hufflepuffs and Slytherins and a TON of Gryffindors and Ravenclaws. What gives?

2. I think that Slytherin has such a bad reputation, and that Hufflepuff is the house without a strong stereotype. Sort of the "leftover pile", if you will. No author wants to think that they created a character without a strong personality, so very few would choose Hufflepuff.

3. I would definitely argue some of these. Do we really think Alaska is a Ravenclaw? And what about Hazel and Gus? Do you agree or disagree?





PS- there are more authors than just John Green, I promise

Check it out and let me know what you think!


Comments

  1. I believe that there are way too many Gryffindors, but that kind of makes sense to me. Authors always think that their characters are the bravest, most adventurous, and generally the best people. So, obviously, all of their characters belong in the "best" house. Harry Potter is like the template for all main characters, so a lot of them are like him.
    Great post! It made me think for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Every author is in love with their characters and want them to be likable and brave, so obviously... Gryffindor!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts