Review: Spin the Dawn

Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh wow. I loved this. Like, I so loved this book.

The storyline or plot points might sound a little familiar (the summary describes it as Project Runway meets Mulan, which I think really oversimplifies it). However, Elizabeth Lim is able to make Spin the Dawn a wholly original novel that was slightly reminiscent of Tamora Pierce (who I love) but with a voice that was all her own.

Lim's writing was beautiful, but not in a way that weighed down the excitement of the story or the pacing. Spin the Dawn was packed full of robust worldbuilding, realistic and slow-burning romance, and entertaining plot points.

My only potential gripe was the almost choppiness of the novel; essentially the book is very split into two defined halves that each have their own unique issues and subplot. This is a pretty minor negative point, however, because overall I totally fangirled over this book.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts