Review: Do Not Become Alarmed

Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 stars.

TL;DR:
Characters: Got them confused for longer than I should have
Writing: Unremarkable, pacing dragged toward the end and I wished it was over sooner
Plot: Interesting idea, mediocre in execution

Pros:
-interesting premise
-potentially unlikable, complicated characters
-intriguing reflection on how the drama would affect the parents involved
-thoughtful view on how privilege affects travel and tragedy

Cons:
-didn't feel involved enough in the stakes; lacked reason for me to care
-couldn't really tell what genre this was supposed to be, and not in a good way? It's like it couldn't decide if it should be a thriller, family drama, or survival story
-the middle/end dragged
-last chapter didn't provide anything new or wrap anything up
-hector's storyline in the novel- huh?

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts