Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate


Title: Fallen
Author:
Lauren Kate
Genre: YA Paranormal fiction
Publishing Information: December 8, 2009 by Delacorte Press

Where I got it:
E-book from the library

One sentence:
When Luce and Daniel meet at the Sword & Cross Boarding School, Luce knows that he’s different, familiar, and she’s drawn to him and his mysteries like no one else.

Themes:
Angels, demons, mystery, bad boy, romance

Main character:
3/5
I actually preferred Luce to Nora from Hush, Hush. I think she has more of a past and more conflict that makes her more interesting to me. I like the fact that she is able to see the shadows, and that she has this familiar feeling about Daniel. I wouldn’t say that I felt particularly drawn to her or that she is intriguing, but I could deal with her.

Secondary characters: 3.5/5
I liked Arianne- she was spunky and witty and made for a great sidekick. Penn was her complete opposite, but I liked that too. Cam was… obvious. He was the hunky second love interest and I could see what was going to happen from a mile away. And Daniel, oh dear. Another Edward rip-off. I didn’t see the relationship between him and Luce developing at all, it just seemed to be there….creepily.

Writing style: 3/5
I would have preferred more detailed descriptions. I feel like the book was long enough, but not much happened, so Kate could have filled at least some of that with mature and detailed writing style, particularly because I was expecting it due to the Gothic charm of the beginning of the novel.

Plot:
3/5
The plot was very predictable. I could see the next twist coming a mile away, which was disappointing. I had also just finished Hush, Hush, so the fallen angel thing was coming right after that. I wish Kate hadn’t skirted around the action either- she sent Luce away from the battle, which could have been one of the most exciting scenes.

Ending: 2/5
Barely wraps it up for the first novel; I’m pretty sure I know where the entire series is headed. Pretty lackluster, considering the lack of the climactic action scene that we know is happening.

Best scene:
The fire in the library

Positives:
Setting, cover, cute and spunky secondary characters

Negatives: Main characters, boring writing style, unoriginal and slow moving plot, the climax

First Line: Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.

Cover: GOREGEOUS! I just wished the rest of the novel had matched the beauty and tone of this cover.

Verdict:
Another easy and simple read, however I finished this one feeling disappointed.

Rating:
6.0 / 10

Comments

  1. Very interesting review. I've heard a lot of similar thoughts on this book that have lead me to believe I probably won't enjoy it too much. I'm a big fan of the Hush Hush series, especially when it comes to Patch, so I think I'd be disappointed as well. Its hard for me not to compare books of the same genre and similar plot.

    Very thorough review! Awesome Job!

    New follower here! We have very similar book tastes it seems and I like how you review your reads!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts