Review: The World That We Knew

The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 stars⭐⭐⭐

“๐“ฆ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ฏ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ.”

⏳๐“๐‹;๐ƒ๐‘:⏳
๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง๐ฌ: In 1940's Berlin, Hanni sends her young daughter Lea away to France with a guardian- a golem named Ava who is created to protect Lea. The golem's maker, a rabbi's daughter named Ettie, becomes entwined with the two as they all struggle to come to grips with the nature of evil in Nazi Germany and France.
๐๐ฅ๐จ๐ญ: Magical realism in Nazi Europe was fascinating; the actual daily interactions of the characters... not so much
๐–๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ : Beautiful, lush, but slow and almost boring at times
๐‚๐ก๐š๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ: Intriguing, but ultimately less interesting and developed than I had hoped for

This should have been a book that I would love, but I really struggled! It didn't turn me off from the author in general though (although this is my first Alice Hoffman novel) because I can tell what a talented writer she is and her writing style is absolutely gorgeous. I just simply struggled with the novel more than I should have. It also wasn't memorable for me. A month passed before I could write this review and I honestly couldn't remember a lot of specifics of the plot.

๐Ÿ‘๐๐ซ๐จ๐ฌ:๐Ÿ‘
-Magical realism element
-Ava's character development
-Gorgeous prose

๐Ÿ‘Ž๐‚๐จ๐ง๐ฌ:๐Ÿ‘
-Slow moving and often boring at times
-Didn't connect with characters as much I wanted to

๐˜ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ท๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜บ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ฃ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฆ๐˜น๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ธ.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts