Review: Undeadly by Michele Vail



Title: Undeadly
Author: Michele Vail

Main character: 2/5
I wasn't a fan of Molly. She was boring, unoriginal, and whiny. I felt like too many of her characteristics were told, not shown, and thus I didn't connect when she was supposed to be the "middle class humble girl". Her snark was supposed to set her apart but was just okay.

Secondary characters: 1/5
Rick wasn't even really a character, just a plot device. Rath could have been cool but was underdeveloped, as were Molly's new friends at the school (it's bad news when I can't even remember their names).

Writing style: 2/5
The best I can say is that it was entertaining enough for me to finish the book, but needless to say it was nothing special. I wasn't a fan of the random interspersed journal entries; they ultimately added nothing. Same with the 21st century girl speak/lingo: I don't need that to understand Molly as a character nor to connect with her. I can understand that she's a normal girl without having the story written with so much "vernacular".

Plot: 3/5
I thought integrating Egyptian mythology was cool but I saw everything coming from a mile away. I like the idea of a society where spirits, ghouls, zombies and necromancers are everyday occurrences, but this novel made it childish and funny, rather than thought-provoking.

Ending: 1/5
I thought it would end up okay and then the final page took a turn for the worse in one of the most stunningly awful cliffhangers I've ever encountered.

Cover: The cover is pretty but it definitely gives me a different impression of the book than I would have expected after reading it. I don't think it fits well.

Rating: 3.6/10

Comments

Popular Posts