Review: Princess of Thorns

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

🔎Book Review🔎
-
🔎Main Characters: 3/5🔎
Aurora is our main character in Princess of Thorns, and her origin is a little confusing. She’s the daughter of Sleeping Beauty (yeah, weird things were going on with the names). Her mother fairy-blessed/cursed her before she died in order to protect her and her younger brother, Jor. Aurora grew on me as the story went on, but I wasn’t feeling her or her backstory at first.
-
🔎Secondary Characters: 3/5🔎
Love interest Niklaas also had a rough start (read: was a jerk). But again, as we get to know him, he grew on me as he showed some character depth. Other secondary characters include Crimsin (also thought I wouldn’t like her, but she was surprisingly cool), and our one/two antagonists, the ogres. I was NOT into the Ogres at first, but I actually dug where Jay took the plot with this one and the surprising depth she gave our villain.
-
🔎Writing Style: 3/5🔎
Is this a theme? I had a hard time with getting into this novel at first. Once Jay got into the plot though, the writing really took off. I was pretty disappointed by the worldbuilding. I didn’t need chapters upon chapters of what things were, but some sort of explanation would have alleviated my confusion.
-
🔎Plot: 2.5/5🔎
Ugh, this is total personal preference but I really thought that the fairy tale retelling was unnecessary. The plot was so different than the original fairy tales that it didn’t make sense to use that as a jumping off point anymore. Ultimately I ended up liking where the story went but the retelling pieces were unnecessary.
-
🔎Ending: 3/5🔎
It was a little rushed at times and there were a couple pieces that I think didn’t make sense for the characters based on their motivations, but ultimately it came to a satisfying close.
-
Total: 14.5/25
3 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts