Review: Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard

Title: Pretty Little Liars
Author: Sara Shepard
Genre: YA Mystery
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Length: 286 pages
Original Publishing Date: October 1, 2006
Series: Pretty Little Liars #1
Where I got it: Audiobook from the e-library
Links: Goodreads Amazon Author's Website


Synopsis from Goodreads: 
 
Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. When each of them begins receiving anonymous emails and text messages, panic sets in. Are they being betrayed by some one in their circle? Worse yet: Is Alison back? A strong launch for a suspenseful series.

 

You know, sometimes I start to feel embarrassed that I have read the first four novels of this series, especially when I look at the juvenile covers and look at the book descriptions. But then I get deep into these novels and forget all about that minor shame. Because Sara Shepard is so freaking good at hooking me in. I guess that's why they turned more than one of her book series' into TV shows. 

The main characters may seem shallow and vain at first glance (and maybe at second glance), but Shepard is able to give them depth and continues to build secrets on top of secrets on top of secrets. At any given point in the novel, you may love or hate each of them in turn. Realistic? Maybe not for most readers, but at least they are humanized and complex, with "real person" issues. 

Shepard excels at weaving mysteries together and always keeping you guessing. She's the master at red herrings and throwing you off of the scent. Every book ends with a crazy cliffhanger that makes you think, "Well, now I have to run to the store and get the next one". Now, how is that fair, Ms. Shepard? 

The worst part is that I'm only four novels in and my library doesn't have audiobooks of the rest of the series. I'm about to pull my hair out. Yikes.


Rating:  7.0 / 10 (4 stars)


Your Thoughts: Have you read it? What did you think? If you haven't, will you be adding it to your TBR list? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts