Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: YA Dystopian Adventure
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Length: 305 pages
Original Publishing Date: November 29th, 2011
Series: Legend #1
Where I got it: Audiobook from the e-library
Links: Goodreads Amazon Author's Website


Synopsis from Goodreads: 
 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

 
Main characters: 4/5

First, the ugly: they are supposed to be fifteen? Give me a freaking break. Next, the bad: the fact that they are both so ridiculously smart and obviously the 1% of the population. They are the special snowflakes of the world, not someone that you could put yourself in their shoes. Also? Their romance bordered on that instalove. No good. Finally, the good. These characters are awesome and badass. I loved June's reserved nature and Day's rebellious streak. They were both intensely protective of those they loved and loyal, although to different sides, and intelligent beyond belief.

Secondary characters: 2/5

For having such amazing main characters, Legend seriously lacked on its secondary characters. June's brother, Metias, was one of the main secondary characters but I never felt like I got to know him. I liked that we learned more secrets about him as the novel went on, but it was all sort of secondary. Day's friend (God help me, I can't even remember her name) was cute, but she disappeared so early on that she very well may not have been there.

Writing style: 4.5/5

Ummm, yes. Lu knows how to pack a punch into a relatively short book and keep me on edge the whole time. Her writing is efficient and yet, the descriptions are beautiful at the same time. Best of all was the action, however. Lu has a way of making you never want to put the book down, because you don't want to miss you on what will happen next! I was completely enthralled with the events, and that was a tribute to both the plot and writing style.

Plot: 4.5/5 
I love the premise of the notorious unknown freedom fighter. Kind of like a V for Vendetta thing. Throw in the dystopian government and the romance and I am so hooked. So, world-building: check. I felt like there was a mystery but the worldbuilding leading up was phenomenal. Everything made sense and I could visualize everything in my mind. Mystery? Check. I can't say that I was thoroughly surprised by it, but I liked following along and guessing what would happen. Suspense? Oh yeah.

Ending: 3.5/5

Breakneck pace, some sad parts, definitely a set up for the sequel, but surprisingly good at tying up the loose ends of the first novel. An acceptable ending (and I have trouble with endings).

Best scene: I liked the beginning where Day and June are first showing off their abilities to the reader. Impressive!


Reminded Me Of: V for Vendetta

Positives: Exciting and fun main characters, crazy good writing, exciting premise and plot, good setup for sequel

Negatives: Secondary characters, some minor issues with the Day and June's ages and their special snowflake abilities, mediocre ending


Cover: A little boring, honestly. I expected more.


Verdict: An incredibly exciting political dystopian thriller. Can't wait to read the sequel!


Rating:  7.4 / 10 (4 stars)


Your Thoughts: Have you read it? What did you think? If you haven't, will you be adding it to your TBR list? Let me know!

Comments

  1. I agree that the main characters had some pretty cool skills which made the action fun. I wish they were more different though. While they complemented each other in some ways, I feel like they more mostly male and female versions of the same person. I'm looking forward to the sequel though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts