Review: The Prophecy by Dawn Miller

Title: The Prophecy
Author: Dawn Miller
Genre: YA Christian fantasy

Where I got it: ODLC (the e-book library)

One sentence: Five teens are reunited by a nightmare from their childhood and realize that their memories have been blocked by an evil force at work, and they must work together to stop it and uncover the truth.

Themes: Faith, truth, defeating evil, memory, friendship.

Main character: Jonah was an interesting and entertaining character. He had a fascinating past, and had a well-rounded personality. He had flaws, but they didn’t overwhelm the fact that he was a good protagonist, which was key to the plot. Jonah had to struggle with himself, with guilt, which made me connect to him.

Secondary characters: Few characters were as well-written as Jonah, but J was also well rounded and had issues to deal with that were interesting. I found the other secondary characters (Sam, Carly, Jenna) to be one-sided. Sam was portrayed as “the good one”, and had no obvious flaws besides the fact that he was deceived at times, and Jenna was basically annoying.

Writing style: Lots of POV’s. Some of the writing was a little choppy so I had to re-read every once in a while. There were also a lot of flashbacks which became slightly confusing.

Plot: I grew frustrated. At first, the whole supernatural evil thing was awesome and really spooky until I found out what they really were. Also, the memory block was reiterated too much. After the first couple times I heard that they couldn’t remember what had happened in the past, I became annoyed. I didn’t know why they couldn’t remember, and the author just kept dragging the issue on and on.

Best scene:
Ending scene; lots of action, enough said.

Positives: Jonah’s character, beginning, spookiness

Negatives: Lots of confusion, stereotypical characters, slow plot movement.

Ending: Left open for the next book in the series. Not very exciting.

Verdict: Just okay. I found the plot was overdone, and after the beginning, there were things that really distracted me from just enjoying the read.

Rating: 4.1 (2 stars)

Comments

Popular Posts