Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre: YA Paranormal Suspense
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Length: 546 pages 
Original Publishing Date: October 23rd, 2012
Series: Mara Dyer #2
Where I got it: Gift from Evie at Bookish
Links: Goodreads Amazon Author's Website


Synopsis from Goodreads: 
 
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

 
Main characters: 4/5

  • Mara= yes. I love her. Mara, you are badass so just keep doing you. Not a whole lot of new development, but none needed.
  • Noah= meh. I'm a little torn. I'm obsessed with him, but some of the stuff he was doing in this book pissed me off. I understand why, but sometimes I wished he would just grow a backbone.

Secondary characters: 3.5/5

  • Jamie, why weren't you as entertaining as in Book 1? You fell flat. 
  • Parents, you suck.
  • Daniel and Joseph are everything.
  • Wish we saw more of Jude and understood him more
  • Evil characters are awesomely creepy

Writing style: 5/5

  • Seriously? How does a 500 page novel feel so fast? I couldn't believe how quickly I finished it. The pacing of this novel is INCREDIBLE.
  • The flashbacks started a little slow, but by the end I was waiting for the next one in anticipation just because of the clues they left!
  • Speaking of which, the way that Hodkin scatters clues throughout the novel is impeccable

Plot: 4.5/5 
  • Yes creepiness! So scary and I loved it.
  • I love that I'm still confused, but in a good way. I feel like I learn little tidbits but there's still so much to learn.
  • I wasn't necessarily pleased with how the paranormal plotline turned. You'll know what I mean if/when you read the book. I don't know, it just felt very.... done before.
  • I love all the times when everything that happens to Mara makes her seem more crazy. The perfect set-up... muhahahahaha. Jk, I love you Mara.

Ending: 4/5

  • Dat cliffie doe. Surprisingly, I was less on the edge of my seat than with Unbecoming though.
  • The climax scene was a little messy. I was having trouble keeping track of what was happening.

Best scene: All of them. No but seriously, I really liked all the mental hospital scenes and Mara interacting with the other kids at Horizons. 


Positives: Mara, writing style, plot, creepiness

Negatives: Cliffhanger was just ok, messy climax scene, plotline didn't go where I wanted it to, Noah fell a little short


Cover:  Just as pretty as the first one! I like how it's darker, just like this book got a little darker than the first.


Verdict:  Um yes. Just what I wanted from this sequel. 


Rating:  8.4 / 10 (5 stars)


Your Thoughts: Have you read it? What did you think? If you haven't, will you be adding it to your TBR list? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts